Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Vassar Adventures!

So I can't imagine there are too many people who are going to read this that haven't had the pleasure of viewing the Matt/Jake/Eliza (later just Matt/Jake) Hastily Recorded Videos series, but for anyone who doesn't know, I made the trek down to VassVass on Sunday morning and left the next day. To help you beautiful readers follow the tale, here is an accurate graphic representation of the trip:


Anyway, so it was my plan to depart at 8:30 on Sunday morning, effectively avoiding the mass exodus of motorbikes heading south from Lake George that day and to put myself at Vassar around 11:00. This past week was Americade, a terrible 9 days when 50-60,000 bikers descend upon the quaint little villages of Bolton Landing and Lake George. Around 8:20, as I was preparing to leave, Steve (Pattywheelz's boyfriend) decided we had to run a mini total diagnostic on Ol' Bessie, Pattywheelz's intrepid '92 Buick in which I was set to travel. After making sure the oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, antifreeze, wiper fluid, and tire pressure were up to snuff, Steve gave the go-ahead for me to begin my journey. At this point, it was just past 9:00. Now, I'll never know if leaving half an hour earlier as was the plan would have helped me avoid the drive south in a swarm of motorcycles, but I like to think it would have.

So, armed with 2 Diet Cokes, a Happy Jack's bag stuffed with overnight things and a few stupid presents to shower on those I love whom I'd soon be seeing, and instructions to check the oil every time I stopped, I left for Vassar. I ambled down the 12-mile road that separates Bolton from the rest of the world, I sped (as much as I could, recall the bikes) for the 150 miles on I-87, and I flitted around the outskirts of Po-Town before finally crossing the beautiful, majestic Mid-Hudson bridge I've come to associate with home. I found a parking spot in among the sea of cars behind Joss that made up the last bits of reunion traffic and, gathering my things, I marched over to Lathrop and called dear Jakey to let me in (stupid no card access; Vassar, do you KNOW who I am?).

THIS IS WHERE THE FUN BEGAN. In honor of my visit, we... did exactly what we would have done any other Sunday when no one had any work to do. We ate, we watched a whole disc of Will and Grace (sorry, Teesh), Sam Shin squealed, we listened to Sarah Silverman, we ate more, we sat outside in hopes of watching a hawk devour a mouse, we watched the Tony's, we watched Sarah Silverman, we went to sleep.

AND IT WAS MORE THAN I COULD EVER HAVE HOPED FOR =D =D <3>

The next day, Jake had to go to work early so we arranged to have lunch at the Retreat at 11:00, his lunch hour, and I tried to go back to sleep (to no avail) and wound up attempting to clean Jake's room (to a little more avail than sleeping but not a lot more). Finally I put my stuff in my car and headed to Main to meet Jake (to complete avail!). After some tasty pre-wrapped Retreat goodies, some unbridled video recording commenced, Jake and Eliza went back to work, and I headed home (which was pretty much the earlier paragraph, except backwards and with no bikes).

Tragically I only saw Jeremy for like 10 minutes. :(

So here I am in Bolton at 6:30 AM on a Tuesday. I must have been more exhausted from driving than I realized because I went to take a nap at 7:30 last night and wound up sleeping until 5:15 this morning.

What's my point it writing this? I guess it's to tell you all how much fun I had. To encourage you to go visit too if you get a chance because Jake's couches are comfy. And maybe to help you come to the same conclusion I did about Vassar this summer:

I'm homesick.

1 Comment:

Matty Wheelz said...

My hearts turned into something awkward. Thanks HTML formatting. :\

Post a Comment

Just Jossin' © 2008.

TOPO